Despite of the price we paid for our smartphones, we always do our best to be as careful with them as possible. But unfortunately, no one is immune from accidents — no matter how careful we are, sometimes we drop our phones on the ground or into water, and unless we own one of Motorola’s rugged devices or one of those shock- and water-resistant Raku-Raku phones made in Japan, it’s a real tragedy.
Usually, when we drop our phones into water, we don’t really know what and how to do — we just stand there and panic, wasting the precious moments we could use to save the phones. That’s why Nokia has released a set of instructions explaining what and how to do after dropping a phone (particularly a Lumia 900 and 800 phone, but it will work with any other, I guess) into water. These instructions are simple and easy to remember, and if you keep them in mind and act quickly according to them, the chances are big that you’ll manage to save your phone and make it work again as if nothing had happened.
- First of all, don’t leave the phone in the water for a long time, get it out as soon as you can.
- Remove the SIM and the battery from it. If anything else can be removed, don’t hesitate, remove everything possible.
- Dry the phone using a towel (no hairdryer!).
- Leave the phone to dry overnight (or even for 48 hours).
- Put the battery and the SIM back and turn the phone on. If you’ve manage to do everything quickly and correctly, the phone will be OK!
Many users report that this method works not only with Nokia phones, but with devices from other manufacturers as well. One of my friends has saved his drowned HTC phone sing this method, so it really works.
The infographic below includes more detailed instructions by Nokia: